FMA exists to build a community of individuals with the confidence and skills to lead organizations that change the world. We believe that resilience and innovation are achieved through an organizational culture that values learning, problem-solving, and a strong commitment to continuous improvement. To promote this, FMA provides fiscal and operations consulting and outsourced services to nonprofit and philanthropic organizations.
FMA seeks an individual with a passion for helping nonprofits meet their missions. The Senior Consultant – Accounting & Information Systems will work with the FMA team members nationally to serve as a subject matter expert and strategic resource to our clients and the FMA team on finance and accounting technology guidance, advice and support. As a senior role, this position participates in high level, strategic consulting and supervises, mentors, and helps train other FMA staff and/or client staff. The role reports to FMA Lead Consultants and Directors. 15 – 25% travel should be expected.
- Serve as accounting technology subject matter expert to the FMA team and their clients with accounting technology needs.
- Assist clients with all manners of finance and accounting technology support, to include:
- Assessment of client technology infrastructure - current state and / or identification of prospective needs & opportunities.
- Development of accounting system strategies, implementation roadmaps, prioritization of deployments, business case development, assessments and selection of technology providers and solutions, etc.
- Development of business process maps and workflows.
- Identification of accounting process risks, inefficiencies and / or improvement opportunities.
- Project management of approved finance and accounting technology implementations.
- Knowledge of Cyber Security issues that may be present with clients.
Market Trends & Business Development
- Stay abreast of accounting technology trends and developments (e.g., via Digital CPA events).
- Research the technology solution provider marketplace to remain current on provider solutions, costs and quality measures.
- Establish and maintain relationships with select technology solution providers.
- Partner with the FMA team as needed to promote FMA’s accounting technology consulting capabilities to current or prospective clients (to help expand existing relationships and / or cultivate new ones).
- Attend, and present at appropriate training, conferences and networking events.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor's or Master's degree with major in Business, Accounting, Finance or related field required
- CPA is preferred
- Five+ years of relevant experience in accounting and/or project management
- Must have demonstrable experience designing and deploying accounting systems for organizations
- Fluency with accounting processes (e.g., costing methods, auditing, budgeting, financial reporting, payroll) necessary
- Strong knowledge of various finance and accounting applications and software (e.g., Financial Edge, Fund EZ, Intacct) beneficial
- Fluency with Microsoft Office applications required
- Previous consulting and “people management” experience preferred
FMA offers an exciting and rewarding environment for motivated professionals. We are driven by a desire to identify solutions to challenging problems and dedicated to making a difference through both teamwork and independent thought and action. FMA serves organizations across the country from offices in New York, Chicago and Oakland. We offer competitive compensation (including incentive compensation opportunities) and benefit plans as well as a flexible work environment.